9 Days/8 Nights
West-North Ambrym & North Malekula
This is an excellent package for keen walkers and adventure-seekers who want to fully encounter the unique cultural and geological wonders of Malampa.
Beginning your adventure on Ambrym, traverse the volcanic caldera of the ‘the black island’, trekking from Port Vato in the west to the remote north.
En route camp on the edge of the caldera and experience the atmospheric lunar-like ash plains then climb up both Mount Benbow and Mount Marum to view their bubbling caldrons of lava – if you dare!
On your fourth day trek down to the west coast and relax at Ranon Beach Bungalows. The following day see the famous Fanla Rom cloaked dancers perform on their sacred dancing ground then return to Craig Cove on a scenic boat trip passing the spectacular strata of ash layers along the shoreline.
After an overnight stay and relaxing soak in the natural hot springs at Ter Ter fly to Malekula to begin your next island adventure. After a night in Norsup cross over the ‘dog’s neck’ to the west coast and trek through beautiful limestone cascades of the Losinwei River then visit the Nasara of the Big Nambas Amokh people to watch their rhythmic tribal dancing.
After a relaxing overnight stay at Dram Dram Bungalows return to the east coast to visit the Smol Nambas people of Rano mainland and hear their stories while observing their way of life.
Your trip concludes with a cannibal site tour visiting the eerie remains of victims left scattered next to the ‘cannibal kitchen’ and the skulls of chiefs of the past inside their monumental stone graves.
9 days and 8 nights including breakfasts, staying at Sam’s Guesthouse, West & East Ambrym Camp (2 nights), Ter Ter Hot Spring Bungalows, and either Ameltoro Bungalows, Lakatoro Palm Lodge or Nabelchel Bungalows. Please note that lunch and dinner are not included in the package price (except when trekking) and are to be paid for directly.
Please note that flights are not included in package price and must be booked directly with the airlines. For more information regarding flights visit /getting-here
Price: VT 105,000 / person, 2 min.
Solo Price: VT 154,100
- Day 1 (Tuesday): Arrive at Craig Cove from Santo or Vila (via Santo) at 1.30pm. Transfer to Sam’s Guesthouse for the night. In-house tours available.
- Day 2 (Wednesday): Transfer to Port Vato. Begin Volcano Cross-Over (West to North) Trek. Night camping at West Camp. Time dependent visit Mount Benbow in evening or early the next morning.
- Day 3 (Thursday): Hike across the caldera from West Camp to East Camp past the new volcanic landscape of lava and hot-water lake.
- Day 4 (Friday) : Hike from North Camp, up Mount Marum to Ranvetlam and transfer to Ranon Beach Bungalows to stay the night.
- Day 5 (Saturday): Local truck up to Fanla Rom Dance and Black Magic Tour in the morning. Walk back with your guide after your tour. Boat back to Craig Cove after lunch. Overnight at Ter Ter Hot Springs Bungalow.
- Day 6 (Sunday): Transfer and flight to Norsup at 9.40am. Lunch and free-time for the afternoon. Overnight: Ameltoro Bungalows, Lakatoro Palm Lodge or Nabelchel Bungalows.
- Day 7 (Monday): Morning: Big Nambas Amokh Tribal Tour at Unmet. Lunch at Dram-Dram Bungalows. Afternoon: Losinwei Cascades & Waterfall Walk. Overnight at Dram-Dram Bungalows.
- Day 8 (Tuesday): Morning: Small Nambas Tour at Rano. Afternoon: Amelbati Cannibal Site Tour. Overnight: Ameltoro Bungalows, Lakatoro Palm Lodge or Nabelchel Bungalows.
- Day 9 (Wednesday): Check out and transfer to Norsup Airport for flight back to Port Vila.